Spring is an ideal time to gently purify the body with Ayurvedic treatments.
The transition periods between the seasons, in fall and the early spring, are when the body is primed to purify itself of accumulated toxins. Lakshmi Ayurveda Nashville offers Ayurvedic massage, abdominal massage, reflexology and other treatments to rid your body of ama (toxins and stagnation) accumulated during the previous season. These cleansing practices also strengthens your agni, or digestive fire, so more ama (toxins) won't be accumulated. These practices in addition to yoga and meditation promote a feeling of wellbeing, so you can be your best expression of yourself.
If you can't make it to Lakshmi Ayurveda Nashville for this seasonal cleansing, you can still follow an Ayurvedic regimen at home to cleanse the body of ama during the transition between the seasons. Diet is key. Eating warm, light, nourishing foods such as soups, or light meals of mildly-spiced vegetables with grains such as quinoa, or couscous, helps the body cleanse. Enjoying a lighter diet for a few weeks while the weather is changing helps burn away ama rather than accumulate it. Lots of rest at the optimal times is a powerful, age-old secret of Ayurveda. So is drinking plenty of warm fluids, daily walks and other exercise suitable for your body type.
If you feel less hungry at mealtimes than usual, or if you feel heavy and dull in the two hours immediately after a meal, these are indications that your digestive fire is burning low. l.
Cooking your food with immune-supporting spices such as cumin, fennel, coriander, turmeric, ginger and black pepper is also an important way to enhance agni and reduce ama.
Tips for a Deep Spring Detox
- WATER> WATER> WATER> repeat.
- Take advantage of the abundance of fresh organic spring greens and organic grains, and include them in your daily diet.
- Enjoy organic fruit, juices and whole milk rather than more-processed options.
- Drink plenty of purified water. Consuming at least 2 quarts a day will help flush out toxins.
- Enjoy exercise outdoors on a regular basis.
- Favor foods that are warm, light and easy to digest.
- Reduce or avoid red meat, refined and canned foods, salt, coffee, dairy products and alcohol.